Saturday, July 30, 2005

Grass Police

you heard me, the grass nazis police. I finally broke down and mowed part of my lawn at my vacation home (aka my old house in Newfoundland) so that we could have a grand match of croquet. Raked it all up and went about setting up the croquet set when before I knew it, someone was out trimming the edge of my yard and then cutting the rest of my yard. They have been cutting it all along while I was gone, which is a little weird, as I couldn't imagine someone doing that in the city unless you already arranged it. I don't really care if the grass is cut or not, but apparently the townspeople do, particularly this person. They seem to want to cut down anything growing, heh heh.


the reason some folk are upset about the grass police is when they are specifically told NOT to cut someone's grass, they went ahead and did it anyhow. The home belonged to summer folk and they loved the wildflowers that grew, so didn't want the grass cut. The grass police ignored this and RAZED them down. So that summer, in protest, I refused to cut my grass, even though I had plenty of time to do it. I wouldn't have cut it this week if I hadn't wanted to play croquet. Let it all go to wildflowers I say...its my damn yard!


anyhow, that's my rant. What irritated me most was I had planned on a leisurely afternoon with my mother, neice and my mother's friend B. knocking the balls around the croquet court. Instead we were drowned out by the racket of lawnmowers and gas weedeaters and the stench that comes with spilled gasoline. Great. Thanks you grass nazis police.


They think they're doing you a favor and will make sure to mention to everyone that they cut the grass FOR ME, even though I did not ASK them, nor did I WANT it done. I'm not being ungrateful, I just resent things being IMPOSED on me is all. They make such a stink here if you DON'T cut your grass.


All I can say is I am SOOOO glad I don't live here full time, as I could not handle the politics of this small community anymore. I have heard and seen enough over the years that makes me thankful I don't live here, and can leave it all behind when I go back to my own home in Cape Breton.


end of rant...

2 comments:

Madley said...

That was a GREAT rant. Who do they think they are? The nerve... you go girl.

Dreama said...

they are only trying to win another "Tidy Towns"" award I reckon. It is a tidy little town, with NO littering problem at all, but the grass thing has gotten entirely out of hand. My mother planted some flower seeds up by the church and they razed that down before they had a chance to grow. feckers!

 
Locations of visitors to this page