Saturday, July 02, 2005

Kayakless in Cape Breton

decisions decisions...I have been seriously looking for a kayak for the past few days (had pondered for many months) and went so far as to go to Costco on Thursday to pick one up and throw it on my friend M.'s roof rack. They were out of stock...unfortunately I didn't discover this until AFTER I dropped $50plus tax on a membership...feckers...


so now I am just looking in general and finding suitable kayaks everywhere...the issue now is the damn roof rack. I first went to Crappy Tire only to be told that it would be nearly $400 with their stuff, not to mention they didn't have the one piece particular to my car. Fine. Feck you too. I then went online and came across several companies that sell car racks, with the best bet so far being Thule and they are not cheap either. The rack for my car will cost me $180 for the foot pack, $75 for the load bars, and another $75 for the fit kit (special piece for my car).


So now I am looking at basically spending $900 on the whole kayak idea. Holy FECK. Now, I can rationalize that the roof rack has MANY purposes and it is transportable to any car, minus the $75 special piece. I can carry a lot of crap on my roof with a good rack. The kayaks I am looking at are roughly $450 each (or $399 if I was lucky enough to get one from those bastards at Costco). Can I justify this expense? I currently have the money...it is a long drive back to Halifax though where both rack and kayak are to be found...


the story on Costco bastards is that I called on Thursday told me they had 3 in stock, hence my spur of the moment trip to the city with my friend M. who already HAS a roof rack. Only when I got there, the 3 in stock were actually not fit for sale because of damage...so they didn't actually have ANY. But 12 on order. to be in in 2 weeks...MAYBE. Of course, this was not explained to me until AFTER I spent the $50 on the membership...I know I can use it for anything else, but it just SUCKS to be SUCKERED!

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page